The Baker House is a beautiful Queen Anne
Victorian home built in 1898-1899 by a Watch Repairman, A. E. (Artemas) Colburn.
For the next fifteen years the Baker House greeted travelers, mainly railroad
workers, as a boarding house. The home was purchased by the former
superintendent of the local schools, and pawn broker, C. J. (Cadmus) Baker. The
house would remain in the Baker family until 1977. Located on the corner of Fifth and Main Streets in downtown
Local legend incorrectly claims that Colburn
was a black man who achieved wealth as a jockey in
We were allowed to stay in the house for the purpose of revealing the truth behind many rumors of paranormal activities. We had hoped to witness the moving of the buffet in the ornate dining room, see the window open in an upstairs bedroom or see the apparition that roams the central stairway. With all of our equipment in place, we began our investigation. Although we did not witness the previously mentioned activities, we did see and feel the spirits of the house. We logged at least two separate entities. One was a young girl that apparently died of a respiratory illness in one of the upstairs bedrooms and the other a man that died in the house of an unknown cause. This entity complained of a severe pain in his back. Our investigation ended and we concluded that indeed there are ghosts residing in the Baker House.
Donate by mailing a check to:
The Spirit Seekers, Inc.
Questions or problems regarding this web site
should be directed to Spirit
This site is
based on SPIRIT Theories, Data and Research.